Sweet Potatoes Stuffed with Chicken, Spinach and Chipolte
I have been on a yam, squash and spaghetti squash kick all winter. I think sometimes I just crave warm food and salads just don't cut it in the winter. Its hard to not resort back to the standard candies yams recipe that we all serve at Christmas and thanksgiving (and a shout out to my Texas friends who use marshmallows). This recipe is a throw back to the potato skins that we have all consumed over a pitcher of beer at the local watering hole. I was craving them but knew that there must have been a healthier alternative.
As added bonus to this recipe is you end up with the cooked yam that you take out to make the "skins" that you can use for another recipe the next day or in my case, I chilled the yam and put on top of a side salad with the leftover spinach and some balsamic glaze. Total calories for this whole meal were 450 (including the salad). A larger meal than normal for me, but it was delicious and filled me up so I didn't require my usual second dinner at 8pm.
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams
- 2 small boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 3-5 whole chipotle pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Wash your sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until fork tender. OR, for those lazy like me, put in microwave for 10-15 minutes and be done with it.
- Boil chicken in water (add in some peppers, salt or beer for added taste). When cooked through, shred the chicken with a fork.
- While the chicken is boiling, cut each sweet potato in half and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium size bowl combine the lime juice, garlic, chipotle peppers, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat and wilt the spinach (this can also be done in the microwave). Toss the spinach and shredded chicken together, set aside and keep warm.
- Turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Scrape the sweet potato out of the peel, leaving a medium size layer of flesh inside with the peel so that it is sturdy and place in a baking dish. Brush the skins with with a little of the chipotle sauce and bake for 5-10 minutes until nice and crisp.
- While the skins bake mix the spinach, chicken and chipotle sauce together. Remove skins from the oven and stuff with the chicken mixture and bake for 10 minutes until the skins are hot and crisp.
- Serve with fresh chopped cilantro.
|The "Husband Friendly" version of this meal is to add cheese before you put in the oven and also to add cheese to the salad. Really, always add cheese and you will be able to get your husband to eat anything.|