Salad can be a go to meal. It is one of my favorites and I have it almost everyday for lunch at work. Everyday I walk down the hall to get my salad, and usually heat up whatever protein I have decided on. I would say 9 out of 10 times a day, someone makes a comment about the size of my giant salad. At first I would get freaked out that I was the "giant salad girl", and then I realized that I love "chewing", and I love LOTS of food on my plate. But there are tricks to salads and if you aren't careful, especially at restaurants you can end up consuming way more fat and calories then you want.
Here is how I make my salads.
1. Lettuce - I use everything, coleslaw, arugula, romaine or whatever I can get my hands on.
2. Mixed veggies - carrots, peppers, cucumbers, snow peas, tomatoes, jalepenos
3. Protein - I chose a protein, chicken, avocado, veggie ground round, olives, artichokes
4. Dressing - I stick to salsa or low fat dressing and not much of it, hot sauce is better and dressing is the killer, so just avoid
5. My luxury item - nacho chips or cheese. I use sparingly, but they do make me love my salads!
There you have it, my everyday salad, enjoy it! This bad boy, with lots of chicken and extra veggies is only 330 calories for a hearty filling lunch!