Sauteed Shiitaki Mushrooms in Acorn Squash with Panko Encrusted Chicken Breast
I can't take credit for this recipe as my husband decided to create this meal that he hoped was blog worthy. He wins. It was delicious. Last night as I was working on my blog, he asked very patiently and politely if we were going to have "real food" or was dinner just another virtual meal that we look at online. I was busy posting about vegetable noodles and barked out that I wanted chicken, mushrooms, squash and to make sure to make it healthy. He rolled is eyes but seemed to be interested in my ingredient suggestion and began working away in the kitchen. Given the location of our computer, I couldn't see what he was doing until he placed the meal in front of me. Amazing!
He kept track of his ingredients as well as he knew I would want to track the calories. The mushrooms in acorn squash came in at 250 calories and we paired with a panko encrusted chicken, making the whole meal around 500 calories.
The reason I felt this recipe was blog worthy was three reasons:
1. The banana with the mushrooms was an amazing combination. I never would have thought to pair these two together and the taste was amazing.
2. Squash keeps really warm and mushrooms get cold really quickly. By having them in the squash kept the mushrooms nice and warm without having to shove my food down as quick as I can to keep the mushrooms from getting cold.
3. My husband took an interest in what I am doing and was a huge success. He also cleaned up the kitchen as he cooked so there were no dishes to do after. For those out there that appreciate this level of cleaning, you can understand how happy I was after this dinner.
- 2 cups Shiitaki mushrooms
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 tbls sesame oil
- 1/2 banana (or 1/8 cup dried banana)
- 1 large acorn squash
- Chicken breast
- Panko bread crumbs
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 350'
- Combine panko and egg in a bowl and then dip chicken breast and put on cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Put in oven and cook for 20 minutes
- Cut acorn squash in half, remove seeds with a spoon and cook in microwave face down in small amount of water for 8-11 minutes or until soft
- Heat oil on medium and cook garlic to slightly brown
- Add chopped shiitaki mushrooms and cook for around 5 minutes
- Add parsley and banana and cook for 1 minutes
- Peel skin off of the acorn squash and fill inner bowl with mushroom mixture
Serve it up on a plate and enjoy!