Spaghetti & Meatballs for 325 calories!
We were driving home from the work the other day and I asked my husband if he wanted spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. He was ecstatic at first and of course said yes. After a few moments of contemplation, he got suspicious and realized there had to be a catch. I then had to fess up that instead of pasta we would be having spaghetti squash and instead of ground beef we would be having veggie ground round for the meatballs. He groaned but knew at that point that my mind was made up. The result was delicious and the man friendly version not shown in the pictures below was to add more cheese (adding cheese is always the trick). We both enjoyed and had no complaints!
Serves 2, makes 8 meatballs, 325 calories per serving
Yves Veggie Ground Round - 1 cup
1/2 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup red tomatoes (diced)
1 red pepper (diced)
1 spaghetti squash (medium)
- Preheat the oven to 350'
- Place the red pepper and the garlic in the oven on a cookie sheet (pam or parchment)
- Cook red pepper and garlic for 20 minutes or until brown and put in medium sauce pan on stove
- Add in the red tomatoes and any other spices you might want
- Simmer on the stove
- Mix together veggie ground round, egg, panko and onions
- Add any spices you might enjoy (I used paprika and cayenne pepper)
- Roll into 8 even sized balls
- Place on cookie sheet (same on you used for the peppers and garlic)
- Cook for 15 minutes or until golden brown
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and place face down in small amount of water and cook in microwave until the tops of the squash are soft (usually 10 minutes)
- Remove from microwave and let cool for a few minutes
- Take a fork and scoop out squash onto plates
Put the squash, sauce and meatballs together and proudly serve to your family. Remember, add cheese for the husband friendly version.