This is no ordinary omelette. Egg whites, dairy free cheese, spinach and basil, at less than 250 calories, this one is good for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I am not a vegetarian. I am not gluten free. I eat bread. I love dairy products. However, I suffer from "cheese dreams" and aside from goat cheese, I have been trying to avoid cheese for almost three years now. What is a cheese dream? For me, they are crazy weird dreams that always seem to occur when I eat cheese (regardless of what time of day I eat it).
Not eating cheese doesn't impact my menu options too much; however, breakfast options involving eggs have become limited. Then I came across Daiya in the vegetarian section of the grocery store and thought - why not give this a try? Daiya is a dairy-free cheese that claims to taste, melt and stretch just like a real cheese. Success! The cheese is really good and actually melted better than some regular dairy cheeses.
Makes one serving (225 calories)
4 eggs (whites only)
Spinach (fresh, 1 cup)
Tomato (1/3 cup diced)
Pepperjack Shredded Cheese (1/4 cup)
Newmans Black Bean Salsa (2 tbls)
Basil, to taste
Hot sauce, to taste
- Whisk the egg whites (sometimes I throw in the fresh basil at this step and a little salt and pepper)
- Heat saucepan on medium heat (spray a little bit of pam in there)
- Pour the egg whites into the pan and let cook. I sometimes use a spatula to make sure I am getting even coverage.
- When the eggs are cooked or nearing cooked, add in the spinach, tomato, "cheese", black bean salsa and fold over one half of the egg. Let cook to allow spinach and cheese to heat.
- Place on plate, add hot sauce and enjoy.