You don't need to remind me that my tagline is "making the healthy choice your first choice". However, there are some exceptions. While I do like to try to make after dinner treats that are healthy, I am a FIRM believer that dessert is dessert and you should enjoy it for what it is. Obviously this is a Pinterest inspired cake! With my sister moving and her son's 6th birthday coming up, I offered to make the dessert. This is the ultimate cake! The kids loved it and it was also an amazing rich moist delicious cake from a quick, easy recipe (obviously I wasn't making a cake from scratch!).
The trick to this recipe is to make the cake the night before! It needs to set in the fridge overnight before you decorate it! I also froze my kitkats and reese pieces as it was hot out and I didn't want them all melting as I decorated it!
The cake itself was taken from the Kraft website. With over 500 reviews giving it a 5+ overall rating, I figured you can't go wrong! The official recipe link is here: "Best-Ever Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake"
I have included the recipe here for the cake as well so you can keep the cake and the decorating instructions together.
- 1 Package Bakers Semi-Sweet Chocolate (8 oz)
- 1 package of chocolate cake mix (2 layer)
- 1 package of instant jello pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tub cool whip
- 12 kit kat bars
- Reese pieces, m&m's, smarties (my bulk purchase was $12 worth)
Make the cake:
- Heat oven to 350'F
- Chop 1/2 of the chcolate into small chunks
- Beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water with a mixer till blended
- Stir in chopped chocolate
- Pour into 2 (9-inch) round pans sprayed with cooking spray
- Bake 30-35 min or until tooth pick comes out clean
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes
- Loosen cakes from sides and invert onto wire racks
- Cool cakes completely
- Store in fridge overnight (covered)
Make the Icing:
- Microwave chocolate pieces (remaining) until melted, mix in cool whip and microwave again
- Let sit for 15 min to thicken
- Check cake heights before icing to make sure kitkats provide at least a one inch overlap. You might have to trim one of the cake pieces
- Cover cakes with icing (including middle bit)
- Layer kitkats on outside
- Use ribbon to secure
- Fill inner circle with candy!