In a recent visit to Vernon, I went over to a friends house and she was whipping together these amazing looking GIANT meringue nests. I was immediately jealous and told her that I would commit some effort to recreate this recipe. First off. I LOVE meringue. However, for some reason, making meringue has never been something I have been good at. She gave me some pointers and inspiration and I came home and tackled this recipe.
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup coconut sweetener or sugar
- Blackberries or fresh fruit!
A 50 calorie treat that serves well for any dessert!
- Separate the egg whites from the yolk and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Beat the egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add in the sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Drop meringue onto a parchment lined cookie sheets (I made 4 large, you could make 8 small)
- Using the back of a spoon, shape "cups"
- Bake at 275' for 50-55 minutes
- Turn off oven and leave meringues for 1 hour
- Fill with fruit and enjoy!
It is moments like these that I really wish I had some better cooking appliances. Not being able to use a proper mixer of any sort due to lack of equipment, I resorted to my old school beater to make these meringues.
It worked! And boy did I get a killer workout.
They cracked a bit, I think I left them in too long and always forget they cook once they come out of the oven as well.
End result was gorgeous and tasty!
Food for Thought:
- What would you put in your meringue nests?
- Do you prefer plain meringue or flavored?
- Do kids like meringue?