I started my blog one year ago today with sushi. I have posted many recipes on sushi since then, cabbage, cauliflower, all rice free and still loving them! Link to recipes here. It only seems appropriate that I do another sushi recipe one year later! This time, a raw Daikon sushi!
I made four rolls at 100 calories per roll. Show me a rice roll that tastes this good for 100 calories a roll. Eat all the food. I want four rolls of sushi. I don't want one roll of sushi. My brain requires much more hand to mouth movement of chop sticks than just 8 small pieces of sushi. Don't knock it till you try it.
Raw daikon sushi is a great QUICK sushi recipe as you don't have to cook rice or wait for your cauliflower to cool, it took me start to finish less than 15 minutes to make my dinner! Just because it looks fancy doesn't mean it needs to take all night.
- 1/2 small acorn squash, roasted into small strips
- 1/2 of a medium daikon, shredded
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and cut into strips
- 4 nori sushi paper
- shredded beets (50 grams0
- thai sweet chili sauce (2 tbls)
- Roast your squash (if your using squash)
- Shred your daikon and place on a cheese cloth. Daikon is a radish so it is mostly water, which means you need to squeeze as much water out as you can! I swear, I got about 2 cups of water out this time.
Seems like there was nothing left once I was done squeezing out the water!
The easy part. Lay out your sushi paper, cover with daikon "rice" and then add your desired insides. I did a roasted squash, cucumber and beets.
And a small trick to roll. I used some sweet chili sauce and placed on the very end of the sushi paper. This way when you roll the rolls the paper has something to stick too. Without sticky rice or something warm, the paper wouldn't let you complete a good roll!
And my second trick. Why cut into bite size sushi pieces? I cut my rolls into three pieces. I didn't want them all falling apart and this way I could eat with my hands as well and avoid chopsticks since I wasn't using soy sauce (the sweet chili sauce was good enough! )
Crunchy, raw, healthy, filling, delicious. Have I convinced you to try it yet?