Easter this year was a family brunch! How exciting as I love oatmeal and got to try a new recipe that I had been wanting to make for quite some time. Baked oatmeal with the selling feature of smelling and looking like carrot cake! Super simple to make and such a great easy recipe to take to a family gathering or even to cook for the family in the morning or just yourself and eat all week!
Total calories is 1300
Serves 6, or less than 225 calories per serving
(add your yogurt or whatever you serve on top!)
- 2 1/4 cup rolled oats (I use quick oats)
- 2 tbls ground cinnamon
- 1 tbls nutmeg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk if you desire)
- 2 tbls splenda (or brown sugar)
- 2 tbls fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- Greek yogurt or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375' and lightly grease a casserole dish (I used a 2 quart) or 8' x 8' dish.
- Mix together the dry ingredients - rolled oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt and splenda
- In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients - carrots, almond milk, ginger, egg whites
- Mix dry with wet ingredients
- Pour mixture into dish and smooth out with a soon, make sure oatmeal is pressed down so that it is covered by the milk.
- Sprinkle on the raisins and sunflower seeds and press down lightly.
- Cook uncovered for 35 minutes until lightly golden along the edge. Don't worry if the oatmeal still looks a bit soft or wet as it will firm up as it cools.
- Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup or vanilla greek yogurt.