Are you looking for some additional protein in your daily life? Do you work out early in the morning and need some pre-fueling the night before? Do you need a little treat at night when your belly is telling you to root through the cupboards and eat everything in sight?
What this is not. This is not a substitute for a real dessert craving. But it beats eating a can of tuna or a chicken breast at 9pm at night. It has been a real winner for me as I find it has been giving me just that little bit of kick I need at 6am when I am out running.
The entire recipe gives you around 25 grams of protein for less than 150 calories. I can't eat the whole thing so I usually split into two portions (70 calories each). I make up a few batches on Sunday nights, but you could make 3-4 hours before you want to eat it as well.
In this version, I took out of freezer added in some yogurt and xanthan gum for a smoothly ice cream finish!
- Egg whites - from a carton, must be pasteurized - 3/4 cup
- Dash of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 truvia packet
- 1 tbls unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cinnamon, dash
- Optional: banana or berries
- Put everything in a blender and blend for around 45 seconds
- Pour into desired freezer friendly containers
- Freeze for 3-4 hours
- I usually take it out of the freezer around 20 minutes before trying to eat
- Peanut butter
There you have it. A frozen protein treat. The pictures aren't pretty, but not everything is magazine friendly. Let me know if you make it and what variations you come up with!